Director of Museum
The Grenada National Museum (GNM) at the corner of Young and Monckton Streets, St George’s, opened its doors to the public on 17 April 1976. The GNM is housed in one of Grenada’s oldest buildings, its foundations dating to the late 1700s. It may have functioned as a military facility, part of the Common Goal or prison into the late 1800s, and a commercial warehouse. Other parts of the GNM complex have housed one of the islands’ most popular hotels, the Home Hotel (founded c. 1880s), which was succeeded by the Gordon Hotel, Hotel St. George, and Steele’s Place before finally becoming the Antilles Hotel (1940–60).
The Grenada National Museum Act of 14 July 2017 established the Museum as a statutory organization with the responsibility for preserving, holding and displaying specimens, artefacts and other material that illustrate the natural or human history of Grenada, inter alia…
Objective of the Position
The Director of the Museum is responsible for implementing the plans as set out by the Board of Directors in keeping with the Act. The purpose of the Director of the Museum is to provide leadership and effectively manage the operations of the museum. He/she is expected to liaise with other agencies, non-profit/cultural organizations and other partners by providing timely and relevant information on behalf of the museum in an effort to implement the museum’s work plans. This entails close communication with the Board of Directors, staff and other governmental and non-governmental agencies and/or partners.
Qualifications and experience required:
- Bachelors Degree in Museum Studies, English, Anthropology, History or related field
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a Management position with a non-profit/cultural organization
- Knowledge of the workings of a museum, its policies and procedures
- Interest in Grenada’s cultural heritage, its interpretation and preservation
- Understanding of local, regional and international cultural resource laws
- Familiarity with local, regional, and international historical and cultural funding agencies and government funding sources
- Proven financial management skills
- Project management skills
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Responsible for the efficient functioning of the museum and its daily workings, in accordance with the policies determined by the Board and in adherence with the Act
- Responsible for the Museum collection (drawings, paintings, artefacts, objects, etc.)
- Oversees the care, display and information about all objects displayed or stored in the Museum.
- Writing, submitting, and securing grants from Regional and international Historical and Cultural Organizations
Type of Appointment: Contractual
Duration of Contract: 2 years (performance review on a yearly basis)
Duty Station: Grenada National Museum, Young Street, St George’s, Grenada
Compensation Package: Salary will be commensurate with qualification and experience
Interested persons should send a letter of application and a detailed resume to the following addresses:
Board of Directors
Grenada National Museum
Applications can also be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Statement of Capability – Director of Museum”
Applications should be submitted no later than 4 pm on Friday, 13 March 2020.
Full details of the specific scope of work/terms of reference are available on procurement.gd
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NOW Grenada is not responsible for the opinions, statements or media content presented by contributors. In case of abuse, click here to report.